Saturday, January 24, 2009

celebration... and thanks

I want to say thank you to everyone who came out to the exhibit event on Thursday evening. We had an amazing time. Expect some photographs.

Because the panels from asleep in toronto are so difficult to reproduce–they are large, 36x72– i have provided the text of one of the panels and a reproduction of it here. So enjoy and more later.... Thanks again....

Is a room considered a home? Home is where the heart is, yes, that is true. But if I have a room and I don’t have hot and cold running water or I am not allowed cooking, is that a home? I believe it is still a room. When I am in jail I am in a room. When I am in hospital I am in a room but it is not a home. So a room is still not a home. I always thought it was something like self-contained, hot and cold running water, where you could cook, that is a home. A room is not a home. It keeps you isolated.

Heartless. Something is missing. I was on the street for 10 years and my heart was gone. To be out here - there is such a lot of agony, so much hurt for whatever reason when you are out here. Sex and drugs are one way of covering the hurt. Numbing it all. Then the pain is less.

Part of it is that life is really lonely and detaching and if we are kept apart it is not helping society to keep people apart from each other. It keeps you separated, away from people who mean something to you, who keep you heart healthy. Even the home of the street has more heart in it than some shelters and rooming houses.

Give people levels of opportunity right from the beginning, show them what they can do, show them their capabilities, show them their capacities. Show them their goodness. Show people what is possible within themselves. Society is set up now for people who “have” and people who do not “have” are sent to the side. And all the levels of violence and anger fester. There is a promise within everybody to be a changing force. We can find out what is within to create change.