Sunday, November 8, 2009

homelessness and disability


Hi, I have been neglecting the blog... teaching is taking up my time, as is the work that I continue to do as an artist in community.

Yet, I miss the connection that this blog created for me in various communities, and so I will try and write more. Nothing much has changed and maybe I have been more preoccupied with that of late. And writing. But in other places and spaces. One thing that is of note is the upcoming release of a video that is called: Spaces and places of homelessness: Uncovering homelessness in Peel Region. Needless to say I am excited and will post about where the premiere will be held. The video is a collaborative composed of Peel Poverty Action Group, Social Planning Council Peel, various faculty from York University, and funded by a Trillium Grant.

I have also been pondering on how language is missing for me when I think about the intersection of disability and homelessness. The knitted mandala is a result of a group effort from a talk given at OISE at the Centre for Women's Studies in Education. What you see is an artefact left over from a talk where we tried to find language without resorting to linear narratives... it was a fine time....