Sunday, October 12, 2008

taking down stories and photos, of course







I met many people, and i of course saw my familiars–for which i was extremely grateful. the guys i have been looking for... some of them were there. and they liked the work so much.

The work received coverage in the Star and Jim spoke brilliantly at the launch.... He is lovely and always a joy to work with.

But I remain uncertain–perhaps it is fatigue. Did people really get the "arts" or did they not? Did they understand what was being conveyed? That there would be nothing really happening those days in Metro Hall without this work? How do we teach society about the arts? This is a crucial juncture as arts funding is being cut all around us. Maybe that is what disappoints me.

Though I talked to many people about this work, about the relationship between disability and health and homelessness–and I know some of them understand. I know some of them are thinking more about the connections.

And so that is what leaves me full of gratitude. The people I spoke with, who heard, the people I listened to, who told me their stories so I could witness their lives and be resolved once again to the necessity of this work.

Remember that. There are people on the streets who need multiple kinds of solutions for housing, who need to be involved in discussing the solutions and the problems. Who are experiencing severe health care problems. Remember that.