Wednesday, June 20, 2007

barriers to sleeping

We welcomed Joe Fiorito again on our ramble, as we went to one of the ravines to look at some of the sleeping places that have historically been used for camping and found that many fences had been put up. I found myself getting frustrated and I now know why - the landscape that is being constructed parallels the administrative structures that are disabling. You suddenly find yourself unable to move - you're stuck. A new wall has been built. You used to be able to sleep here, but suddenly there is a 9-foot fence. It is disorienting and there is no place to vent your frustration.

After a hike we scrabbled up a rather steep incline - I might say 75 degrees. Kevin had spotted a man from across the way - and being ever adventurous had ran down and up before anyone could catch their breath. I looked across the gap to where he stood - small against the hill and bridge structure. We all made our way to where he was and decided that Jim, me and Joe would head up. Once at the top we met Mike, a seasonal worker at one of the tracks. He seemed too small for his clothes until I found out what his trade was. He grooms horses and works at the track, and doesn't like to stay in the shelters, mostly because of the other men. He was also hungry. He told us that there were some people staying there, again because this is the alternative to the shelters. I am still not sure I always understand. I can only hear the words and over time I wait for them to make sense. You see, the smell of mud was strong, the clothes and blankets that I saw were tumbled in the dirt. No woman's touch here. No Wendy for these Lost Boys... Just over the hill from this place there are houses worth millions of dollars. The juxtaposition is another stark and disorienting reality for today. One that I may have to sleep on... I feel tired... I want to see the photographs from today.

We also talked today about what we have all seen, what has effected us most on this project - more on this next time...