Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Opening at OISE


Our opening was a success - how can I possibly say thank you except, thank you! - to every one who came out. I was overawed by the beauty of it all. More than 75 people were in attendance. Project artists who came out - thanks - and to all of those who could not make it - I hold you in my heart...
The people who saw the work have continued to call and email, providing their support. We gathered 9 cameras. Not bad. We still need more. But 9 is fabulous. And Rae grabbed one to document the event. So I guess we had 10 at one point! Rae was happy, saying: "They like us!" They do. I think, I believe, this work can make a difference. And to show it at this educational insitute has the potential to alter the way teachers and learners engage. And we received support to exhibit the work from the Ontario Arts Council, Exhibition Assitance Program with the help of our recommender, Gallery 44 - Thanks to them as well!
I have promised to put information about the project on this site and to upload photographs. And so I will. Over time.
I was excited and scared. Was not sure if people would come. The challenge was to hold this tension, to be awake in it and to notice by inhabiting the experience. And the questions continue: How do we use the work to encourage thought, to encourage us to think differently about personal and structural inequity as it is expressed socially? How can we work against the collapse of hope? It is growing cold. Doors are being locked more frequently and we are preparing for numerous programs that help to sustain the poor to close. There is more to write... but that will have to come later. Other tasks await.